This super-delicious and creamy lasagna with artichokes is a variation of the classic recipe that will amaze you with its simplicity and its unexpected taste explosion.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that as an Amazon Associate I receive a profit from eligible purchases. There is no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Who doesn’t like baked pasta? I love it and I am literally crazy about Lasagna which is one of my favorite comfort foods!
If you follow my blog, you know that my main mission is to spread traditional recipes of Italian cuisine. Nonetheless, I often like to add a pinch of experimentation, starting from classic recipes by using different ingredients and combinations.
The recipe that I propose today is, in fact, a white variant of the classic lasagna. It is prepared in white with lots of bechamel and stringy mozzarella. In addition, creamy lasagna with artichokes is an excellent alternative for a vegetarian choice without sacrificing pleasure.
The creamy lasagna with artichokes is a delicious dish already only in this way, with just artichokes and bechamel, but you can also enrich it with many other ingredients.
Which artichokes to choose
As mentioned, the artichoke is the undisputed star of the recipe. If like me, you’re an artichoke lover too, check out these artichoke-based recipes:
Veal & Pork Stew with Artichokes
Artichokes and Cheese Savory Pie
While it is always better to opt for fresh artichokes, If you are not in the right season, you can also make the recipe with frozen ones. I will give you directions for both options.
Using Fresh Artichokes
First, we need to clean and cut the artichokes properly. To do it follow our directions. I talked about it in the post How to Clean Artichokes Easily, where you also find a step-by-step video.
Once the artichokes are cooked, we will blend a part of them together with the béchamel. In this way, the enveloping and delicate taste of the artichokes will permeate all of your Lasagna.
Using Frozen Artichokes
Simply cook the artichokes in boiling salted water in accordance with the product directions. Then heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan with a clove of garlic and a pinch of salt and sauté for 5 minutes to add more flavor.
How to make Béchamel
Because it is a White Lasagna, the bechamel plays a very important role in the balance of the recipe.
You can choose to buy a ready-made besciamella, the important thing is that it is of excellent quality like these.
Alternatively, you can easily make your own bechamel sauce at home. I’ll explain immediately how!
Béchamel is a sauce made from butter, milk, and flour and is really simple and quick to prepare at home. You will need:
- 500 ml Milk
- 50 gr butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (about 50 g)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 sprinkle of nutmeg
In a saucepan, cook the milk until it almost boils. Switch off and set aside.
In another saucepan, melt the butter slowly, then pour in the flour and cook over very low heat, stirring with a whisk for 2-3 minutes (this is how the Roux is formed).
Gently pour the hot milk over the roux and continue stirring with the whisk until the cream begins to thicken. I recommend that you follow this step very slowly otherwise lumps will form.
At this point, turn off the heat and add salt and nutmeg. Stir for another minute and your béchamel is ready for use!
How to assemble the perfect Lasagna
Once all the ingredients have been set, all you have to do is take a rectangular pan with high sides and sprinkle it with thin oil.
For best results use high-quality Lasagna Pasta like these ones.
For a gluten-free version, you can try the Barilla ones, made with corn and rice!
Therefore, alternate layers of pasta, béchamel with artichokes, pieces of artichokes, mozzarella, and grated cheese.
Remember, the higher it is, the more pleasure it will be for the palate. Finally, cooking in the oven will make the lasagna fragrant and crunchy on the surface and creamy on the inside… real goodness!
Alternative ingredients to enrich your Creamy Artichokes Lasagna Recipe
This Creamy Lasagna with Artichokes is already delicious in its vegetarian version. However, if you want to dare a little more, you can customize it in many ways. Here are some :
In Italy, we often add crumbled sausage or diced bacon to the artichokes. They give a smoky note and complete the taste of the dish. If you opt for bacon you can dice it and add it to the artichokes while cooking in the pan. If you prefer sausage, crumble it and cook it alone in a pan for at least 7/8 minutes, blending it with white wine and then adding it to the artichokes.
To stay vegetarian, instead, you can add 2 boiled potatoes to the artichokes. Cut them into chunks and stir them in the pan together with the artichokes. The final texture will make every bite of lasagna outstanding.
Creamy Artichoke Lasagna
This super-delicious and creamy lasagna with artichokes is a variation of the classic recipe that will amaze you with its simplicity and unexpected taste explosion.
- 1 pack of no boil lasagna pasta
- 500 g bechamel
- 5 artichokes
- 3 green onions
- 100 g. grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 400 g mozzarella
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- First, we clean the artichokes and slice them. If you need help follow my guide here.
- Heat the saucepan with a tablespoon of oil and the garlic clove.
- Stir it for a couple of minutes, then pour in the cleaned and chopped artichokes and let it cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Add ½ glass of water while cooking for a softer result. Set aside the artichokes.
- In the same saucepan and pour 2 tablespoons of oil. Chop the spring onions coarsely and stir fry for about 3 to 4 minutes. Now, lower the heat and pour in the bechamel.
- Adjust with a pinch of salt and pepper, then cook for about 3 more minutes. After turning off the stove, pour 2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano into the béchamel and mix to absorb.
- At this point, pour the seasoned béchamel into the mixer and add a small part of the artichokes and blend for about 2 minutes.
- Slice thin (about 1/2 cm) 2/3 of the mozzarella; cube the remaining 1/3 and set aside.
- Assemble the lasagna! Keep all the ingredients you cooked near you on hand.
- Pour a small layer of oil into a high-sided baking dish.
- Using the spatula, pour a generous spoonful of bechamel sauce on the bottom and spread on the bottom.
- Arrange the first layer of lasagna dough to cover the entire surface without leaving holes.
- Spread 2 or 3 tablespoons of bechamel over the pasta, then arrange a layer of artichokes.
- Sprinkle with a dose of grated Parmigiano and finally arrange a few slices of mozzarella on the surface.
- Then move on to the second level, following the previous steps. Continue like this until the pan is full or the ingredients run out.
- On the last layer, arrange the portion of mozzarella that you cut into cubes and a lot of grated Parmigiano on top. This will result in a crisper crust.
- Heat the oven to 220 C ° (430 F°) in static mode.
- Place the baking dish in the center and cook for about 25 minutes.
- After this time, switch to the fan-assisted grill function and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool before tasting.
- Buon Appetito!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 677Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 1171mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 34g
Nutrition Data is automatically calculated and may be not accurate.
What can I say more? Lasagna with artichokes is a definitely smart recipe. A perfect pairing that can be prepared in advance and served at the right time. A super dish, completely green, satisfying, and light enough!
And since this Lasagna Recipe is very suitable for special occasions, read our tips for a perfect wine pairing.
If you loved this post and found it useful, let us know by leaving a comment below, or sharing it with whoever you want! Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram, or on our Facebook Page to be always updated with new ideas and recipes with an Authentically Italian Flavor.
This looks delicious! I’ve only ever had lasagna with beef. I’m going to definitely make this.
I haven’t had lasagna in ages! New family favorite I must say and we all love artichokes!
I’m loving this take on lasagna. So unique yet classic at the same time. Saving for later.
I’m excited to try this lasagna. It looks great – thank you!
cool idea to add artichokes in the pasta. it gives it a nice cut thru the fattiness!
What a great idea to put artichokes in lasagna! This is going to be on my table tonight!
One of my favorite vegetables and pasta dish and they are combined? I am in heaven and just printed your recipe to make tomorrow for my family. Thank you! My mouth is watering just looking at the pictures
I love anything with artichokes this looks amazing