This Artichokes and Cheese Savory Pie is an easy and tasty recipe, perfect as a main course or appetizer, which will feed the whole family.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that as an Amazon Associate I receive a profit from eligible purchases. There is no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Today I hope to delight you with a rustic and tasty recipe, able to reconcile all, even the most difficult palates.
Artichokes and Cheese Savory Pie is in fact, one of my favorites! That’s because it has few ingredients but such a compelling flavor and aroma that make this savory pie truly irresistible.
Great for a Buffet Brunch or to take-away on Trips or Picnics. In fact, you can taste it both hot and fragrant as fresh from the oven, but also cold it is full of satisfaction!
One of the advantages of any savory pie is that we can make them well in advance. Moreover, Savory Pie is a good and healthy one-dish meal, which we can freeze and put on the table at the last second.
The secret of the goodness of this pie is the delicate union between the pastry and the filling, that come together in an irresistible mix.
In addition, the sweet flavor of the artichokes is enriched by the use of shallots and grated Parmesan. Lastly, the cubes of smoked cheese and a few sprinkles of black pepper will give a fragrant and slightly spicy to your savory pie.
How to Prepare Artichokes
Cleaning the artichokes to make today’s recipe may be the most laborious and stressful part. Therefore, some time ago I made a video explanation with all the steps to clean and prepare your fresh artichokes in the best possible way.
For instance, here you can find the video and the step by step directions.
How to make the Artichoke Savory Pie
Prepare this delicious Artichoke Savory Pie by cleaning the artichokes and cutting them into slices and cooking them in a pan while mixing the eggs with the cheeses in a separate bowl.
Instead, for a lighter and more delicate taste, you can simply boil the artichokes. To do that, let boil 1 liter of salted water inside which you poured the garlic. After that, pour Artichokes inside and cook for about 15 minutes. Drain the artichokes, remove the garlic, and continue following the steps in the recipe. You can simply cut the shallot into slices and add to the raw mixture.
- 1 brisèe pastry
- 3 artichokes
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ shallot
- 3 eggs
- 150 g ricotta
- 40 g parmesan
- 30 g smoked cheese
- 3 sp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 pinches salt
- 2 black pepper pinches
- Spread the dough with baking paper in a 26 cm cake pan.
- Heat the oven to 180 C ° static (356F °) or 170 C ° (320F °) if ventilated.
- Wash and clean the artichokes as indicated in my previous post or following my video instructions.
- Put a pan on the fire and heat 3 spoons of oil with 1 clove of garlic and ½ shallot cut into slices.
- When the garlic is roasted but not black yet, add the chopped artichokes.
- Add 1 pinch of salt and 1 pinch of pepper and sauté for 15 minutes.
- Add ½ glass of water while cooking artichokes, if they dry out too much.
- While the artichokes are cooking, take a large bowl and insert the eggs, Parmesan and ricotta. Beat well to get a creamy mixture. Adjust with 2 pinches of salt and a little pepper.
- Cut the cheese into cubes and pour it into the mixture. Save some to add over the pie, at the end.
- When the artichokes are cooked, remove the garlic and pour it over the puff pastry. Place well so that they cover the entire surface, then pour the creamy mixture over the artichokes until completely covered.
- Close the edges and sprinkle with a little grated parmesan, then garnish with the cheese cubes that you had kept aside.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, according to the pastry cooking directions.
- You can serve this exquisite Savory Pie fresh from the oven hot or cold as an appetizer or snack.
- Buon appetito!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 387mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Nutrition Data is automatically calculated and may be not accurate.
How to choose the Best Pastry
Making a pastry for a savory pie may require a fair amount of work.
So, if you don’t have time to make a hand-made pastry, there are many varieties of ready-made ones on the market, that perfectly fit for savory pies.
Here is a short guide explaining features and differences to help you choose the most suitable pastry. To learn more about pastries, I suggest you read the beautiful and very useful book “Pastry School” by Julie Jones.
Salty Shortcrust Pastry – the savory variant of shortcrust pastry has become increasingly widespread. It has a few basic ingredients: Flour, Butter, Eggs, and Salt. Its flavor depends on the amount of used butter: With more butter, the shortcrisut will be melted; with less butter, the shortcrust becomes more crumbly.
Puff Pastry – light and flaky, it’s made with a lot of butter and requires a little bit of elbow grease. That’s why most people prefer to buy ready-made. It has a delicate and fragrant flavor, also thanks to the pastry layers that are formed during processing.
Brisè Pastry is a recipe that belongs to the French culinary tradition, made with flour, butter, water, and salt. Comparing with the puff one it has a more neutral flavor. For this reason, it’s often used for savory recipes. Speaking of consistency, on the other hand, it is halfway between shortcrust pastry and puff pastry.
Fillo Dough is a base dough that belongs to Greek cuisine. This dough is composed of a series of very thin layers that are superimposed on one another. It has a delicate flavor and a light and fragrant texture. Because the process for making the phyllo is quite long, usually people prefer to buy it already made.
Get more Savory Pie recipes …
As I said, I like to develop many different savory pie. They are exceptional and please everyone. Moreover, it’s a wild dish that you can prepare in a short time and with a lot of imagination. If you love savory pie too, give these recipes a try:
I hope you’ve loved this recipe as much as I do!