With this video and the step-by-step guide on how to clean artichokes, you will find that cleaning them is an easy operation, which only takes a little bit of your time.
Often people believe that cleaning artichokes is a hard and complicated undertaking, which is why it often leads to reaching the supermarket counter to buy already cleaned and frozen artichokes.
Learning how to clean artichokes is also relevant because the artichoke is a vegetable with a delicate, low-calorie flavor and therefore very suitable for weight loss diets.
There are many ways to approach artichokes cleaning, depending on whether you have to cook whole, stuffed, fried…. this one, anyway, is my favorite, the one I prefer at my home.
It’s a versatile method for simply sautéing artichokes or using them as a sauce for pasta, meat, eggs, or fish, so I can clean them in advance and use them at the needed.
What you need to clean artichokes
- a bowl with fresh water
- a lemon
- a cutting board
- a curved blade knife
- a hacksaw knife
Watch our Video Guide
How to clean Artichokes
- 1 bowl
- 1 cutting board
- 1 curved blade knife
- 1 hacksaw knife
1. Pour water into a bowl and squeeze a lemon to prevent the artichokes from turning black. Pass some lemon on your fingers too.
2. Begin by cutting an artichoke’s stalk and then, with a curved knife, carve the length to eliminate the hard and filamentous part.
3. Cut the stalk and put it into the water.
4. Take the artichoke and using the curved knife, cut on stalk base to help the removal of leaves.
5. Gently peel off all the outer leaves, until you start to see appearing leaves of light yellow color and tender to the touch.
6. Cutaway and remove the superior part of leaves which is thorny and hard (remove about half leaves, to be sure to eliminate all the hard part).
7. Sprinkle the clean artichoke with some lemon and soak in water.
8. Take one of the peeled artichokes out of the water again and cut them in half.
9. Carve at half moon the base with the knife to remove the beard.
10. Check that there are no thorns on the top heart (the purple part), otherwise remove them with the tip of the knife. Always soak the clean part to prevent it from turning black while continuing to peel.
11. At this point, you can cut your artichoke into strips and the stalks into stripes.
12. Sprinkle again with a little more lemon juice.
If you want to avoid blackening your fingers, you can also use a pair of kitchen gloves!!
Et voilà, your artichokes are ready to be cooked!!
Try this method to prepare a plate of delicious Artichokes Penne Pasta, or as a base for an excellent Italian style frittata or to fill a savory pie!
Visit our recipe index to find out more delicious recipes suitable for your everyday cooking
I hope you’ve loved this recipe as much as I do!
If you liked it, leave a comment or share it by pinning it. To get more recipes like this, follow us on Pinterest or on our Facebook Page.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that as an Amazon Associate I receive a profit from eligible purchases. There is no additional cost to you. Please read my disclosure for more info.
[…] For instance, here you can find the video and the step by step directions. […]